OMGCHOCOLATE. This chocolate avocado “milkshake” is more of a smoothie (there’s no dairy in it), but the avocado adds a delicious, creamy texture; it reminds me of having a healthier milkshake.
Are you weirded out by chocolate and avocado being in the same sentence and food? If so, that’s okay; I thought it was weird at first, too! If someone came to me five years ago and said, “Someday, you will have an avocado smoothie and LIKE IT,” I think I would have laughed? Maybe? Okay, probably not. I’m always up for trying new things, but I was not about eating “healthy” for a very long time. These days? I embrace it!
As long as it also tastes good, that is.
If you’re looking to cut back on dairy and/or sugar, but want a nice treat? This is it. Did I mention you can’t taste the avocado? Make this for a quick and tasty breakfast!
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup almond milk or cold, filtered water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana
- ½ an avocado
- 2-3 dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips (optional for extra chocolatey taste!)
- Handful of ice cubes (about five or six)
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass, add a straw, and enjoy!
2. I love using dates as my sweetener in smoothies, but you can also use honey or any other sweetener you prefer. Add to taste.
3. I own a Vitamix, which is pretty powerful at blending. If using a regular blender, you may need to roughly chop the ingredients and pause the blending occasionally to scrape down the sides.