Kalamaki is meat cut into cubes and marinated in an olive oil and lemon dressing, usually overnight. Then, you grill that meat and devour! A good choice for grilling season if I say so myself.
I love Greek food. Especially in the summer time.
Speaking of summer, if you’re a parent, do you know of Red Tricycle? It’s a site that offers parents info on finding things to do with their kids in their city! Whether it’s eating, making stuff together, going to a festival, etc. It’s a pretty cool site! They also recently shared my fish tacos recipe. Go check it out!
Speaking of fish tacos, I think I might make some for dinner sometime this week! After I finish up my kalamakia leftovers.
In the recipe below, I suggest you marinate the chicken for thirty minutes, but really, that’s for the absolute minimum. If you have time to prep it some hours in advance, I highly recommend it! Anywhere from eight to twenty-four hours would work just fine.
Grilled Chicken KalamakiPrint Pin Rate
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 6 bamboo skewer sticks I used 6"
- 1/4 cup olive oil not extra virgin
- 1 lemon halved
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Greek oregano rigani
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- Soak bamboo skewers in water for about twenty minutes (this will help keep them from charring when grilling).
- While the skewers are soaking, prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Add olive oil, juice from half of the lemon (reserve the other half for later), salt, rigani, garlic powder, and black pepper in a small bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Cut the chicken into cubes. I slice the chicken in thirds lengthwise, then cut each strip into small cubes.
- When the skewers are done soaking, thread each stick with the chicken.
- Place chicken in a bowl or ziplock bag and marinate with the dressing for thirty minutes (if using a ziplock bag, place that in a bowl in case the sticks poke holes in the bag).
- After marinating, preheat your grill over medium-high heat.
- Cook the chicken 4-6 minutes per side, until cooked through.
- Remove from heat and squeeze the remaining lemon half over the meat.